Friday, October 27, 2006

Illustration Friday - Wind

Revival

This is a oil painting cover I did for Ligonier Ministries monthly magazine Tabletalk. The visual problem I had to solve was first of all the sense of spiritual revival of a person. They had to be content and the power of nature or God was renewing their spirit. I thought wind and a nice colorful sunset would help contrast the dull and old skin that's peeling away.

The original is 11.5 in. x 18 in. It and several size prints are available for sale here:

10 comments:

carla said...

This really does capture the feeling of renewal. I like the way his old, cold layer is peeling away , and his new self is basking in that gorgeous sunset. This is a lovely piece... showing a positve wind of chnage.

constance wong said...

This is beautiful and very meaningful...

Amy Zaleski said...

This is outstanding! You've really captured the difference between the grays of a dull or bad period being usurped by the hope and promise of new horizons. Really great stuff.

Anonymous said...

fascinating illustration

Random York said...

Hey, I was gonna do that too... no, seriously, this is beautiful. Excellent work!

studio lolo said...

Terrific illustration! I love how the diagonal of the clouds help with the movement of the old skin peeling ( or being blown) away. Nice!

Michelle Lana said...

cool work!

georg said...

Very fascinating! There's a lot of meaning here, and your style looks great too. Now I have only one wish: that I could do this too!

(I don't mean to draw, but to get peeled..)

Ester Wilson said...

Happy Halloween Jay!!

Anonymous said...

great idea for rebirth and awakening. you've captured it so well too.